When I was a kid, we’d occasionally have family work days outside. Since I’ve never really loved getting my hands dirty, I’d retire early to make everyone made-to-order sandwiches. After putting on my apron and taking orders on a notepad I gladly made everyone whatever they wanted for lunch. It was while slapping mayo on those sandwiches, that I dreamed of moving to the Northeast, owning a deli/bakery, and writing books.
20 years later, I still long to do all of those things-and one of them is about to happen…for real.
After over a month of waiting, and a semester of interviewing, Matt was offered a great two-year gig at Brown in Providence, RI-so New England here we come!
Here’s the bad news…
1. There are no Chick Fil A’s in Rhode Island. I honestly don’t know how I will survive. (There is a Panera and Chipotle, so all is not lost).
2. One inch of snow will not force everyone to take a day off, like it does here.
3. We have to leave all of our sweet friends in Little Rock and the prospect of living near family and friends in Texas.
4. We will be sooooooo far from home.
5. I might be ridiculed for my Southern accent so I’m already trying to ditch it.
The good news….
1. Rhode Island is cold, which means I’ll get a real FALL! Yea! And SNOW!!
2. There’s a culinary school in Providence, so that makes for lots of great restaurants (not to mention fresh seafood!)
3. Providence is a 2.5 hour train ride from NYC. Macy’s Day Parade here I come!
4. Rhode Island is called the Ocean State-enough said.
5. Emma Watson goes to Brown and I think we’ll be great friends especially if I let her babysit my cute baby.
6. Rhode Island has the most per capita Dunkin’ Donuts-and I’ve got to say, I’m ok with that.
Anyway, we’re excited about our big adventure and I’m sure you’ll hear all about it! Thanks to all who have prayed for us throughout this process! Now for the house to sell! 🙂